Thursday, February 2, 2012

A break from the painting...

I was all ready to get my paintin' on this evening, and then it struck. I needed Mexican food. And margaritas. And believe me when I say it was DELICIOUS. It was not, however, great for productivity. That combined with TV night on NBC killed the evening really fast. The night was not a complete creative loss, though, as I bought myself a little treat at work today....


Mark found this little gem at Christmastime as a gift for our sister-in-law. The title says it all: the book is full of drawing prompts and divided pages upon which to draw. Here is an example of a prompt:




I fell in love with this sketchbook. I think it would be a great idea generator and artist's block cure. The prompts are just vague enough that the sketches you produce could say a lot about your artistic style. Take the prompt above as an example. The gravestone could be new, old, yours, grandma's, Fido's, a stone, a statue of an angel or gargoyle, and the list goes on. The prompts are just that spark that we all need from time to time. Plus, drawing in it reminds me of activity books as a kid (but with higher quality paper that ink doesn't bleed through). So there is that nice nostalgic connection as well.  Tonight, I used Staedtler Triplus Fineliners, Faber-Castell Pitt Pens Big Brush, and Faber-Castell Albrecht Durer Watercolor Pencils (no water though).

Below are a few drawings I finished in about an hour.


The prompt: a kiss





The prompt: mittens











The prompt: icicles





 I chose subjects reflecting the season and impending Valentines Day. The bottom picture is of icicles. I have to say that I have never honestly seen any in person, so that was the best I could do off the top of my head.

Taking photos of your work is definitely a useful resource. The drawings look so different to me in photo form. I can see the mistakes a lot better. It's also easier to tell if the composition is successful.

642 Things To Draw is published by Chronicle Books, if you are interested. And after reading this, how could you not be? I believe even non "arteests" could enjoy this book.

The painting will return tomorrow!

Have a good night!

P.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment